c

 
The Lutheran Church of the Incarnate Word
597 East Avenue
Rochester, N.Y. 14607
(585) 244-6065
Fax (585) 244-5480

elca


Evangelical Lutheran Church in America 

 

BOF

Building our Future Site

 HC Logo

 We are accessible

 
 

Jenny Lind Bell - Lives again !

After a few years of silence and some restoration it's again calling out the hour and half hour.
“God’s word and Luther’s doctrine will never fade away.” 

Click to play the bell -> 

  

The Jenny Lind Bell 

 

The year was 1851 and Jenny Lind, the world-renowned “Swedish Nightingale”, gave a concert at Rochester’s Corinthian Hall.  The demand for tickets was so great that a second concert was given with tickets sold at auction to prevent scalping.  $2500 more than regular prices was raised and Miss Lind donated it to six benevolent organizations and the German Lutheran Church – Zion Church – on Grove Street.  That $200 and an additional amount from Jenny Lind was used to purchase a bell for the church.  It was cast in 1870 and the German inscription on it translates as “God’s word and Luther’s doctrine will never fade away.” 

 

After Zion and Concordia Lutheran church merged and became The Lutheran Church of the Incarnate Word, the bell was given to the church by the Jewish War Veterans which had purchased the old building. It was installed in our church tower when that was added in 1968 and it rang for several years before falling silent. Thanks to a member of the congregation it peals again, striking the hour and half-hour during the daylight hours. 

 

                                                                             William Tribelhorn